Friday, March 30, 2012

It's not CurrentTV it’s PasséTV!

First Row: The Young Turks (TYT)
Second Row:  Countdown at MSNBC
Third Row: Countdown at CurrentTV
Fourth Row: The War Room



I am in a terrible mood. I am so upset to find out that CurrentTV fired Keith Olbermann today! All of us that followed Countdown every weeknight suspected that something was wrong, but we hoped that whatever differences they were having were going to be resolved. We were wrong.

CurrentTV, which is owned by Al Gore and Joel Hyatt, was a struggling television station with a programming suitable for people like Al Gore: boring people. The programming was quite simple and unexcited, long documentaries that they kept repeating again and again to the point of exhaustion. The station mainly served for Al Gore to show his own documentary about Global Warming – commendable and I do recommend it to everyone – however, how many times can a person watch the same programming? Not too many, believe me.

Al Gore and Joel Hyatt created CurrentTV in 2004. Since its birth, CurrentTV, formerly known as INdTV, has been a series of failures that oddly enough, it managed to win a few awards mainly for the documentaries. The company has ventured into many different partnerships; all have failed.

In 2009 it was revealed by the US Securities and Exchange Commission that Comcast owns 10% of CurrentTV; in my view, that explains up to a point the controversies and obstructions that Keith Olbermann faced while at Current.

When Keith Olbermann was offered a position at CurrentTV in 2011, it was not as a mere commentator. CurrentTV did enough fanfare about hiring Keith as the Chief News Officer and at the time it was mentioned that Keith would have total control of his show, Countdown. I am sure that most of the other shows that came after Countdown such as The Young Turks did so because Keith Olbermann was part of Current.

Since the beginning of Countdown at CurrentTV, the set (if that can be called a set) was just a dark room with terrible lighting; even Keith’s make up was terribly done. There was no background, no desk; basically it was a chair and Keith. At first, I thought it was going to change and improve… but it didn’t. Even Keith’s wardrobe was not what we were accustomed to but we were there for Keith, nothing else.

The Young Turks made their debut and recently The War Room followed. It is obvious that their set is well lit and looks like that of any other show. Why then was Countdown's set so depressing and unprofessional? I think it was deliberate. I think they knew Keith was going to complain and bitch about it, but they didn’t care. I think they didn’t care because with the political shows they now have lined up (probably thanks to Keith Olbermann) they feel they don’t need Keith anymore. They are so wrong!

With this business maneuver, Al Gore has just shown the world that he is as bad a businessman as he was a bad Vice President. The man couldn’t even defend himself when the Presidency was stolen from him!

Goodbye CurrentTV… I will stop watching you and so will many others, the only reason I bothered going to that channel was Keith Olbermann, with him out of the picture CurrentTV is out of my life. I can’t say I’ll miss you, but I can say I'll miss Keith Olbermann and as I did before, I will follow him wherever he will land next. Maybe at Oprah Winfrey Network channel?

No comments:

Post a Comment